Friday, September 7, 2012

One Month



Whenever I picture "Future Lizz" I always see her different than how I am right now. No matter how far into the distance I imagine I look like a version of myself that is nothing like how I look today. Sometimes I’m thinner, other times I’m tanner, occasionally I’ve chopped my hair short or dyed it black or blonde. Almost always I've inherited some sort of fashion sense and learned to do my makeup correctly. Sadly, in reality, my appearance for most of my life has remained constant besides the occasional blonde streak. 

Aug 2011                      May 2006
The Chicago Marathon is one month from today and even though I'm aware of my tendency to over-exaggerate "Future Lizz" I can't help but imagine myself as different  at the starting line. Between now and then I'm not going to get the six-pack abs, bionic legs or deeply tanned arms I see in my head as I imagine racing. I probably won't have the spiffy purple tank top or expensive compression socks I like to daydream about. Despite my best efforts to pin it back, my hair will most likely still end up in my face even though in my imagination it remains pulled back and seamless throughout the finish. 

And even though I let my mind get the best of me sometimes I do have the confidence (I think) that I'll be prepared to finish, hopefully beating my last time and coming in under 4 hours. I have done and am continuing to do what is necessary to run this race to the best of my abilities. I have left events and get-togethers early in order to be up in time for my early run, I have changed my diet to better include more protein and less Smarties (I said less not zero), I have become impossible to talk to because I only ever want to talk about running and I have sacrificed a small chunk of every paycheck towards shoes, plane tickets, running gear and food to try and contain my teenage boy sized appetite.

I'm nervous it is going to rain. I'm obsessed over what the temperature may be. I'm paranoid that it will be "run in place" windy. However, when it comes down to it, one month from today the weather will bring whatever it decides, I'll look the way that I look and I'll be there at the starting line -- a little less chiseled and fashionably dressed than I've imagined -- ready to give it my best shot.

1 comment:

  1. One month to go! Chicago (yes, the whole city) is excited for your visit!

    ReplyDelete